Pages

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

My Music: Bag Lady Erykah Badu - "Who wants that?"

"...bag lady, you gone miss your bus, You can't hurry up, Cause you got too much stuff. When they see you comin, They just take of runnin, From you, it's true, oh yes they do..."
Its such a good metaphor the baggage that women or men carry from one relationship to another. The bag lady with all her different types of baggage whether its garbage bag, baby bag, etc.
I was 14 when this song came out. I didn't know what the hell Erykah was sing about nor did I care back then, i just loved the song. It was catchy. 9yrs later and I know exactly what she was talking about. It had been a minute since I heard this song, and prior to now I still may not have gotten it.
I had a late night conversation with a friend.. me all boo hoo and teary eyed. She said "who wants that?" A few days later I heard Bag Lady by chance and it hit me like a ton of bricks.
"...One day all them bags gone get in your way, One day all them bags gone get in your way...SO PACK LIGHT"
Its hard to shake some of the things you feel or what you have been through in past relationships. I assume for some it takes more time to let go of the "bags". Im learning that instead of holding on, take what you need to do better in the next relationship and leave those bags behind.

No comments: